Friday, November 1, 2013

A Little About Me:

My name is Alex and I’m going to post-secondary school for a third round this year. After marrying at 22, my husband and I were Toronto bound where he finished law school and I tried to get a job. It wasn't long until I was commuting like a sardine on the subway. During one morning commute, I noticed posters with a picture of puppy and caff which said “why love one but eat the other?” I read different versions of the poster every day, which kept me wondering “do I really want to be a vegetarian?”

The "Be Veg" subway ad campaign  sparked an internal question I had been asking for years. I attempted vegetarianism for 6 months in my third year of university, until one dark and rainy night. My friend and I had just submitted a 3000 word essay on Henry Fielding’s Joseph Andrews and in the name of victory I made her walk with me for 20 minutes in the rain to pursue some 60 cent chicken wings. I ate hamburgers every day for a week after that.

While my husband and I both love a medium-rare prime rib roast and extra saucy chicken wings, we didn't want to feel entirely deprived of meat protein, so we decided to go pescetarian.  


According to Merriam-Webster, a pescetarian is defined as “one whose diet includes fish but no other meat.” In other words, a vegetarian who eats fish.

I’ve been exploring my moral logic behind eating fish rather than other meats. Truth is I still don’t know, but for some reason fish and seafood are okay right now. One day, maybe I’ll make the big leap and become a complete vegetarian, but my body feels nutritionally balanced when I include fish protein in my diet.

So with this blog, I bring to you recipes for students who have chosen the pescetarian path. Our pockets are not deep my friends, but we can still eat well on a dime! Stay tuned for some succulent recipes and kitchen tips you may find useful for creating some tasty yet budget friendly pescetarian meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment